Soups & Stews

stlsoapchick
Administrator

Re: Soups & Stews

stlsoapchick
Administrator
This soup is awesome!

I'm not a fan of shrimp, so I omit that part of the recipe.  Also, I fry the bacon (that you use to garnish) first in the pot that I'm cooking the soup in so I use the bacon drippings to cook the onion, carrots, etc, instead of the half stick of butter that is listed in the recipe.

Paula Deen's Potato Soup with Shrimp

Ingredients:
1/2 stick butter
1 small onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced about the same size as the onion
2  tablespoon  all-purpose flour
8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
4  cup  milk: whole, reduced fat (2%), or low fat (1%)
2 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in 1/2 cup hot milk
1  cup  half-and-half
1  teaspoon  salt
1/4  teaspoon  pepper
1  lb  medium shrimp
crumbled bacon bits, for garnish
grated sharp cheddar cheese, for garnish

Directions:
In a 4-quart saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion and carrots until both are slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the potatoes, milk, and dissolved bouillon cubes. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft and some of them have begun to dissolve into mush. Add the half-and-half, salt, and pepper.

In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups lightly salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp all at once and stir well. Watch the shrimp closely; as soon as they all turn pink, about 2-3 minutes, turn off the heat and drain. The shrimp should be slightly undercooked. When they are cool, peel them, and chop roughly into big chunks. Add the shrimp to the soup and stir well. Serve soup sprinkled with bacon bits and grated cheddar cheese.

Cook's Note: If you don't have access to shrimp, use corn.

Yield: 6 servings

Re: Soups & Stews

SaraBeara
That sounds so yummy !!
Here's my recipe: Creamy Tomato Tortelloni Soup
1 package of frozen tri color cheese tortelloni 1 pint of half and half(if you want a richer soup use a pint of heavy whipping cream) 1 can of diced Italian tomatoes 2 10 oz cans of tomato soup(preferably Campbell's) 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese Optional: 1/2 a package of frozen spinach, thawed or a handful of fresh spinach, chopped. 1. Cook the tortelloni as directed. Set aside.Combine soup with milk and the tomatoes in a large pot. Bring to boil . 2. Add tortelloni, half and half, parmesan cheese and spinach to soup mixture. Stir until well blended.Turn down heat to medium or medium low 3. Simmer for 20 -30 minutes stirring frequently. Serve with parmesan cheese on top. This soup is similar to the house soup at Grisanti's, an Italian restaurant in town.
guiding light Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: Soups & Stews

budjaz
oooooh that sounds delicious!  I would leave out the spinach.. lol.. not a big fan.. but I bet it would still be good!  YUMM

My Brother Dan 1965-2007

Re: Soups & Stews

bernadetteny
mmmm that potato soup does sound good, maybe i'll make it tomorrow.

i love making homemade soups and do it often, the problem is i've never used a recipe or wrote one down.   i just grew up watching my mother cook soup all the time.

my favorite soup is split pea and i only like my homemade version.  all those canned soups are just useless!

i dream up any variety of soup imaginable and make them all from scratch.   the soup is different everytime, but always fabulously delicious.

here is a general recipe for dumplings that you can add to any soup.

one or two eggs beaten
milk
flour
1 pkg chicken broth (optional)
salt pepper to taste.

just mix the ingredients until its a thick paste and then dip SMALL spoonfuls into the boiling soup one at a time.  the dough will fall off of the spoon after being dipped for a few seconds.   the dumplings plump while cooking, so use only small spoonfuls.  they only need a few minutes to cook.

the dumplings should be added to the soup last, when it has finished cooking and is ready to be served.

Re: Soups & Stews

bernadetteny
soap, i made a scaled-down version of that potato soup today.  it was delicious!!!!  ty for the recipe.

Re: Soups & Stews

budjaz
well ladies.. this is not really a soup.  BUT it is my favorite meal in the whole world!!  (BESIDES CHOCOLATE OF COURSE!!!)   If you like cabbage at all.. you willl LOVE this..

head of cabbage..  pack of bacon...  butter..  and if you can get it Everglades seasoning (sometimes it is only sold in  Florida)

fry up the bacon..  but not too crunchy...  throw in some butter with the frying bacon..   when all the bacon is fried..  pour the grease into a pot along with the bacon and add cut up cabbage..  add water about halfway up the cabbage in the pot,  add some Everglades seasoning if you can get it.. if not.. I'm sure salt and pepper would work fine..  bring to a boil and then simmer the cabbbage for about an hour or so, basically until cooked all the way through..   OMG..  this is so unhealthy probably..  probably clog your arteries ...  but it is DELICIOUS ... mmmmmmmmm...  and I used to HATE cabbage until I ate it this way..

I guess this is the southern way of making of cabbage..  versus the irish with the corned beef..  trust bacon is much better..  =)

My Brother Dan 1965-2007